Thursday, May 10, 2012

Envelope Style Kindle Touch Cozy



Purpose

I recently knit a cozy for my Kindle. The pattern I used as a model was Kindle Cables by Kathy Broughton. I modified the pattern because:


1 I believe this pattern was written for the original Kindle


2. I wanted a more secure opening and didn't want to use a button so I wouldn't have to worry about the button accidentally scratching or putting pressure on the screen.


Below are the modifications I made as well as additional pictures. This is the first time I've tried to write out knitting instructions so if anything is confusion or could be written more clearly, please do not hesitate to comment or send me an email. Thanks!


Modifications

1. I only repeated the cable pattern 7 times instead of the 10 times the pattern called for.

2. I decided I wanted to make the cozy more like a pillow sham so the Kindle would be less likely to slip out. I also decided I wanted the top part to be in a stockinette stitch to match the bottom. To do this I:


* after repeating the cable pattern for the 7th time, I cast off the first half of the stitches (aka the front half of the cozy) as I repeated row one of the cable pattern.


* after casting off the first half of the stitches, I knit every stitch to finish the round; this now left me with one knitting needle with the back half of the stitches on the needle


* I flipped the work around and purled every stitch to complete a second row to work back the other direction on the back half of the cozy


* I knit every stitch for the next row. 


* I flipped the work around and purled another row to work back the other direction. This produced a stockinette stitch that was 4 rows past the cast-off edge on the front half of the cozy.


*I began the next row, a knit every stitch row, by picking up a stitch: the stitch below the stitch last created. I put this picked up stitch on the right-hand needle, knit the first stitch on the left needle, then slipped the right-most stitch on the right needle over the left stitch on the right needle. (In other words, I cast off one stitch.) Once I nearly reached the end of the row (one stitch left on the left needle), I picked up the stitch below the last stitch on the left needle and placed it on the left end of the left needle to make it the new last stitch. I knit the last two stitches, then slipped the second to the last stitch over the last stitch, effectively casting off a stitch. This allowed me to essentially stitch the sides of the flap together without increasing stitches each row. 


* I purled the next row, making sure to pick up a stitch on either end and immediately cast off a stitch, as explained in the bullet before this.


* I knit the next row, again picking up and casting off a stitch on either end. At this point, the flap was folded over and matched up with the cast-off edge of the front half of the cozy.


* I continued to alternate knitting and purling rows, picking up and casting off a stitch on either end of the row for 6 rows past the cast-off edge of the front half of the cozy.


* For the seventh row past the cast-off edge, I cast off all remaining stitches and wove in the tail of the yarn.






No comments:

Post a Comment